Registration | Process | Test Scores
- The district administrator or employee must submit the online registration form and indicate the individuals to be assessed (employees, students, or other interested individuals).
Schedule a Time
- The MDE-LIO ASLPI coordinator contacts the registered individuals and arranges a time for the assessment.
- Three test sites are available—Flint, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo. However, with approval, the assessment can also be administered via video phone from the individual’s location.
- The employee must pay the proctor fee to secure the scheduled time.
- After the proctor fee is paid, the MDE-LIO ASLPI coordinator will send a link for the individual to complete registration via Gallaudet University. If registration is not completed, the university will cancel the scheduled time.
Prepare for the Assessment
- Visit the Gallaudet University website for more information on the process, including an overview of the ASLPI proficiency levels and guidance on preparing for the assessment.
Take the Assessment
- Take the assessment via video phone (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Gallaudet University scores the assessment.
Get Your Score
- Gallaudet University shares the score with the individual who was assessed and with MDE-LIO.
- MDE-LIO keeps the score on file in its database for two years.
- $150 assessment fee
- $20 proctor fee
Assessment Fee Waiver for Eligible District Employees
District employees working with students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing do not pay the assessment fee. However, the employee is still responsible for the $20 proctor fee.
District employees receive the fee waiver unless the employee:
- Used the fee waiver for the ASLPI within the past year.
- Received the same score three consecutive times.
- Previously scored a level 5 (the highest possible score).
- Is a qualified Michigan ASL interpreter.