Dr. Deborah Cates, Ph.D., Sign Language Program Coordinator, Iowa School for the Deaf
EIPA Video Conferences
Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) Video Conferences are produced by Boys Town and supported by MDE-LIO. They are shown at six host sites in Michigan. This is the third in the series for this school year.
Video Conference Description
Why do signers sometimes shift in space when they are not indicating a specific referent? Why do they raise their eyebrows when they are not asking a question? How do I know that a signer is referring to a past discourse referent instead of a time in the past? How can I improve my sentence boundaries in my interpreting? The answer to these questions is prosody. Prosodic features of language are larger than individual signs or even individual sentences. These are the features that help you navigate through discourse. Prosodic features help to create and recognize boundaries in sign, including both signed English and American Sign Language (ASL). In this workshop, participants will learn about prosodic features, will practice recognizing them, and will learn how to interpret the features.
To attend this event at a specific host site, register via the contact information or links below.
- Delta Schoolcraft ISD, Escanaba: Contact Sue Argall at 906-786-9300 ext. 201 or email@example.com
- Gratiot-Isabella RESD, Ithaca
- Kalamazoo RESA, Kalamazoo
- Lansing Community College, Lansing: Contact Ashleigh Taylor at 517-483-1012 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mott Community College, Flint
- Traverse Bay Area ISD, Traverse City
RID and Michigan CEUs are pending for this video conference.