Genesee Career Institute
G-5081 Torrey Rd.
Flint, MI 48507
Start time: 8:30 a.m.
End time: 3 p.m.
$50 for teachers and other related services personnel
$25 for paraprofessionals, college students, and parents/guardians of students who are BVI
Registration is now closed for this event.
Parents, educators, and paraprofessionals who support students who are Blind/Visually Impaired are invited to attend this one-day workshop focused on producing tactile graphics needed in a school setting. Participants will have the opportunity to begin building their stock of materials to use in producing graphics “on the fly.” Learning objectives include:
- How to prepare in advance for essential graphics
- What equipment, software, hardware and materials can be used for graphics on the fly
- How to produce graphics using a combination of methods
- How to provide graphics by adapting existing materials
This workshop will be presented by Lucia Hasty, founder of Rocky Mountain Braille Associates.
The following is a tentative agenda for the workshop. When registering, participants will be required to complete a pre-workshop questionnaire. Feedback from the questionnaire may alter the agenda.
- Overview of tactile graphics: Why, When, Where, for Whom
- The “how” of tactile graphics, for your production and for students’ production:
- Graphics by collage and tooling (hand-produced)
- Microcapsule process: pros and cons
- Overview of computer-assisted tactiles
- Uncomplicated drawing software
- Proprietary software for graphics embossers
- Using computer generated files with other production methods
Please note: A credit card payment is required to complete your registration and secure your slot for this event. MDE-LIO will issue refunds only for cancellations received no less than three business days prior to the event.
If you have a question or need to cancel, call MDE-LIO at 888-760-2206 or 517-241-7083.