Application Deadline: April 1, 2016
Camp Tuhsmeheta (Camp T), a Michigan Department of Education-Low Incidence Outreach (MDE-LIO) outdoor education center for children and youth who are BVI, is now taking applications for counselors to help with two camping events this summer.
Camp T's mission is to provide expanded core curriculum programs to students who are BVI in an outdoor education setting. The expanded core curriculum helps students meet learning needs that extend beyond the typical core curriculum, including independent living skills, recreation and leisure, assistive technology, and much more.
The camp's two summer events, Family Camp Weekend (June 17–19) and Explorer Summer Camp (August 15–20), are aimed at helping students develop expanded core curriculum skills.
Counselor candidates will be asked to participate in a one-day orientation session in the spring as well as the two summer MDE-LIO programs. The Explorer Summer Camp program will include traditional camp programming aimed toward middle school students and a backpacking and canoeing program aimed toward high school students. The Explorer Summer Camp will require an extra two-day training.
- Assist with expanded core curriculum programming throughout the camp day
- Live in cabins and provide guidance, supervision and fun for a small group of campers who are BVI
- 18 years old or older (high school graduates, college, or career age)
- Previous campers welcome
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of camp programming with a desire to help youth develop independence and personal growth
- Ability to travel to and from Camp T (Greenville, Michigan)
- Stipend, room and board provided
- A variety of training opportunities
- Networking opportunities
If you are interested in applying for this great opportunity, please email Jereme Vanden Heuvel at email@example.com.