Through a partnership with Seedlings Braille Books for Children and the Art Van Elslander Foundation, MDE-LIO offers Hooray for Braille kits for young children who are Blind/Visually Impaired (BVI). Learn more by watching our Hooray for Braille kits video in our BVI Video Library.
Kits may be ordered by Michigan residents who have children or work with children who are:
- Ages birth to five
- Potentially braille or dual-media readers
Each kit contains:
- Two children’s books with both print and braille
- One copy of Braille for the Sighted, a primer for parents
- One set of Print and Braille Alphabet Flashcards, featuring print, braille, sign language, and pictures of items to feel or smell on each one
- A Seedlings bookmark with the alphabet in print and braille
- One resource list
- A bright red “Hooray for Braille” tote bag
Order a Kit
Kits are limited and are available on a first come, first served basis. Individuals may order as many kits as they have students who fit the criteria. To request a kit, complete the Braille Kit Request Form [PDF] and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Books Available
In addition to Hooray for Braille kits, MDE-LIO’s ABCs for VIPs program is also available for families and teachers of young children who are BVI. This program is offered in collaboration with Seedlings Braille Books for Children.