Independent living skills (ILS) are the tasks students need to manage their daily life, such as housework, hygiene, and time management.
These documents help you track what students should be able to do at each grade level.
Use the ILS Checklist to document when a student is able to accomplish each skill.
These guides outline what skills are appropriate by the end of each grade. The skills are included on the ILS Checklist.
- Preschool [PDF]
- 2nd Grade [PDF]
- 4th Grade [PDF]
- Elementary School [PDF]
- Middle School [PDF]
- 10th Grade [PDF]
- 12th Grade [PDF]
These calendars provide suggestions for practicing one ILS task each weekday. The tasks are to be completed at home, and the sheet may be returned to the student’s teacher at the end of each month.
- Early Childhood ILS Calendar [PDF]
- Early Childhood ILS Calendar - Large Print [PDF]
- Elementary ILS Calendar [PDF]
- Elementary ILS Calendar - Large Print [PDF]
- Middle School ILS Calendar [PDF]
- Middle School ILS Calendar - Large Print [PDF]
- High School ILS Calendar [PDF]
- High School ILS Calendar - Large Print [PDF]
Tips and Lessons
These resources explain how to teach different ILS.
Five-Minute ILS [PDF]
This MDE-LIO document lists ILS activities students can complete in five minutes or less.
Video Clips on Blindness Tips [Website]
The Washington State School for the Blind hosts videos that show how to teach various skills.