MDE-LIO has a team of education consultants who are available to support families and school districts serving students who are DHH.
Our consultants are highly qualified professionals who can provide DHH training and support in a variety of areas.
Outreach Support Guidelines
Before submitting a request to MDE-LIO, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- MDE-LIO will provide support when the parent/legal guardian and the local district or intermediate school district (ISD) special education administrator/designee agree to work collaboratively throughout the process.
- Our education consultants will support and consult on current programs that are outlined in the student’s individualized educational program (IEP) or individualized family service plan (IFSP). However, they will not serve as participants or decision-makers for the development of the IEP or IFSP.
- MDE-LIO will not respond to a request for support if a complaint, due process hearing, or disagreement about a previous evaluation or educational service exists.
- MDE-LIO does not provide independent educational evaluations (IEE).
Support Areas for Students who are DHH
Education consultants can provide support in the following areas:
- Observation and consultation
- Family education
- Early childhood/early intervention
How to Submit a Request for Support
A request for support can be initiated by a parent/guardian, teacher, or special education administrator/designee from the local district or ISD. However, the request must be signed by all three.
When a request comes in, our educational consultants work in collaboration with the family as well as staff from the local district or ISD to provide support.
1. Fill out and sign the DHH Outreach Support Request Form [PDF], which includes a consent to release information component.
2. Mail or fax the form to:
MDE, Low Incidence Outreach
Attn: Outreach Support
P.O. Box 30742
Lansing, MI 48909
3. After MDE-LIO receives the form, a staff member will contact the requester within 3 business days to let him or her know we received the request.
4. An education consultant will work with everyone who signed the form to create an action plan for the request.