For information on mini-grants, visit the Mini-Grants page.
Scholarships are available for eligible students in Michigan who are Blind/Visually Impaired (BVI). This funding supports students and parents who wish to attend school programs and services, trainings, and recreational and social activities.
Attend Approved Programs
Approved programs include:
- Enrichment programs
- Learning opportunities
Scholarships can also pay for:
- Registration fees
- Travel reimbursement up to 100 miles at the current state-approved rate
Scholarships are not intended for MDE-LIO programs.
Who is Eligible
To be considered for a scholarship, a student must:
- Be a Michigan resident, 0-26 years of age, and attending the K–12 school system.
- Meet the definition of having a visual impairment, including DeafBlindness, as defined in the Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education [PDF]:
- R 340.1708 Visual impairment explained; determination
- R 340.1717 DeafBlindness defined; determination
- Be eligible for financial need, as demonstrated by a Bridge Card or formal documentation from the school confirming the student receives free or reduced meals.
The maximum funding is $250 per event, and $1,200 per fiscal year (October 1 – September 30), for both parent and student. Mileage reimbursement is included in the amount allowed. If a scholarship is awarded, MDE-LIO will provide funding after the event.
How to Apply
Use the Scholarship Application Packet [PDF] to apply for a scholarship.
Please submit your application at least 30 days prior to the program. Your request must be approved by MDE-LIO before the event begins. Within three days of receiving your application, MDE-LIO will notify you via email whether your request has been approved or denied.
Before the event, submit the following to MDE-LIO:
- Scholarship Application Form (page 3 of the application packet)
- Certificate of Eligibility Form (page 5 of the application packet)
- Proof of financial need:
- Copy of your Bridge Card, or
- Formal documentation from the school confirming the student receives free or reduced meals
- Copy of the registration form, flyer, or article announcing the event
After the event, submit the following to MDE-LIO:
- Attendance Confirmation Form (page 6 of the application packet)
- Bring this form to the event. This form must be signed by the event/program coordinator and must be received by MDE-LIO within 30 days after the program ends.
- Non-State Employee Travel Voucher
- To receive a copy of the travel voucher form, please email [email protected].
- Submit this form with your attendance confirmation only if you claimed mileage reimbursement on your scholarship application.
For questions about MDE-LIO scholarships, please email [email protected].