Updated: December 2021
Please read the following information on how MDE-LIO’s events and services are currently impacted due to COVID-19. We appreciate your understanding and patience during this time, and we will continue to provide updates on this page as they become available.
Braille and Large Print Book Requests
Our Instructional Materials Center staff have begun going into the office on a rotation schedule to supply educational materials while maintaining a safe social distance. We are taking requests for braille textbooks and large print books for this school year and beyond, so please submit book requests via the Request a Book form.
American Printing House for the Blind (APH) Products
MDE-LIO staff is available to ship APH products. Please submit a request via the Request APH Materials form.
Other MDE-LIO Loan Programs
Books and equipment from the following loan programs are available:
- Assistive Technology Library
- Unified English Braille Literacy Expansion Program
- ABCs for VIPs
- Blind/Visually Impaired Resource Library
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Resource Library
MDE-LIO is accepting returns of borrowed materials. Teachers may set up an appointment to return materials from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
Items we will accept include:
- Braille and large-print books
- American Printing House for the Blind (APH) products
To set up an appointment, call or email APH Coordinator Sarah Oberlin at 517-241-5732 or firstname.lastname@example.org. After the appointment is set up, you will be asked to follow specific instructions during the return process.
MDE-LIO also accepts returns via mail. As a reminder, teachers should consider the following guidelines for returns:
- Pack the materials, especially books, into smaller boxes. Boxes that are too heavy are easily damaged during shipping and are difficult to lift.
- Ensure that all pieces, parts, guidebooks, and power cords are included in the return. Quality and complete kits are vital to maintaining loaned APH material.
- When returning a high-ticket item or Assistive Technology Loan Library equipment, please email email@example.com to receive a prepaid UPS return label. Please let us know if the item is broken.
MDE-LIO is now scheduling some in-person events. These events may be subject to change, based on state guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19. We will continue to offer online workshops and webinars as scheduled.
MDE-LIO staff members are continuing to provide support and answer questions. Reach us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or submitting a message via our contact form. To contact a specific staff member, visit our staff directory.
Virtual resources for school personnel and families are available on our website:
We’re Here for You
These are challenging times, and we must all work together to stay healthy and safe. MDE-LIO staff will continue to be available to answer questions and support families, students, and educational staff. For more resources and upcoming online events, visit the MDE-LIO event section, email list, or Facebook page.