The MDE-LIO Support Team was recently created to help develop competent, informed, and knowledgeable teachers of students who are visually impaired (TVIs), teacher consultants of the visually impaired (TCVIs), and certified orientation and mobility specialists (COMS) in Michigan schools. This team is available starting on October 1, 2020.
Through the program, novice school personnel serving students who are Blind/Visually Impaired (BVI) are paired with experienced teachers and COMS as they gain experience in the field. This program is provided at no cost to districts or individuals.
MDE-LIO will support Michigan TVIs, TCVIs, and COMS who are currently working in Michigan schools and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Are in their first year as a TVI, TCVI, or COMS
- Recently transferred from another state
- Recently returned to the VI field after more than five years
- Are students in the VI Consortium for Teacher Preparation who have been placed in a TVI or TCVI role
Each team member will provide support in the following areas for two years:
- Conducting evaluations
- Providing direct and consultative instruction
- Teaching areas of the expanded core curriculum
- Scheduling daily plans and keeping records
The MDE-LIO Support Team includes experienced TVIs, TCVIs, and COMS from around the state. MDE-LIO has thoroughly vetted each member based on a specific set of criteria to ensure quality support. Support Team members are Ann McKay-Bacon, Kim Canzoneri, Kamie Fortier, Judith Holmes, Marcia Pavkovich, and Adonna Wright.