Individuals who are blind or visually impaired use braille to read and write.
This course is designed for beginners who have little or no knowledge of braille.
Learn the Basics
- Learn the alphabet
- Learn punctuation and contractions
- Recognize formatting styles, like bold and italics
- Get introduced to the Nemeth Code for mathematics
The workshop will also show participants where to access instructional resources.
Individuals working with students who are BVI, including:
- Teachers and BVI teacher consultants
- College students
- Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties: 4-6 participants
- All other counties: 3-6 participants
Ensure the minimum number of participants.
We will schedule the workshop in your area once there is interest from the minimum number of participants. Let us know if you need help to meet the minimum.
Once the workshop is scheduled, we will list it as an event and open registration to others who are interested.
Request credits when scheduling the workshop.
- State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs)
- A 40-day wait period is required to schedule the workshop if SCECHs are requested
- Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREPs)
Teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school personnel: $90
Parents/family and college students: $45.00
Each participant needs the following textbook and companion reader:
Ashcroft's Programmed Instruction: Unified English Braille and Ashcroft's Programmed Instruction Companion Reader: Unified English Braille
- Buy the textbook and companion reader as a set from MDE-LIO for a discounted price of $80
- Borrow the textbook and companion reader from MDE-LIO for the duration of the workshop
- Find and purchase the textbook and companion reader (total retail value $144.50)