Registration closes July 17, 2019
Doors open at 8:30 a.m. both days
Start time: 9 a.m.
End time: 4 p.m.
$150 for DHH professionals
Foundations for Literacy is a research-based curriculum and intervention that was developed specifically to teach beginning reading skills to young children who are Deaf or Hard or Hearing (DHH). This two-day training will give attendees the background, instruction, modeling, and practice necessary to implement the Foundations for Literacy curriculum and intervention materials with fidelity.
SCECHs are pending.
- This training is for Michigan-certified teachers who deliver reading and early literacy instruction to students who are DHH
- Registrants who do not meet the criteria listed above will be able to register but will be placed on a waitlist
- Understand the research outcomes of Foundations for Literacy
- Explain how an image representing a phoneme can be used to support decoding
- Learn how to utilize components of the curriculum to teach letter-sound correspondence, blending, and syllable segmentation
Attendees will be required to purchase the Foundations for Literacy curriculum (approximate cost of $410) and bring the manual to the workshop. An order form will be emailed to you after you register.
About the Presenter
Dr. Stacey Tucci received her bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and Special Education, her master’s in Deaf Education, and her doctorate in Education of Students with Exceptionalities with a research focus in Intervention Studies in Deaf Education from Georgia State University (GSU). During her time at GSU, Dr. Tucci worked as a Research Associate on two federally-funded Institute of Education Sciences (IES) grants. She is a co-author of and lead trainer for Foundations for Literacy.
A block of hotel rooms is available at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center for $85 plus tax. Participants will receive more information about how to reserve a room in their registration confirmation email.
Please note: A credit card payment is required to complete your registration and secure your slot for this event. MDE-LIO will issue refunds only for cancellations received no less than three business days prior to the event.
If you have a question or need to cancel, call MDE-LIO at 517-241-7083.